I was trying to find some ways to increase the speed of my webshops, because speed matters.
I did this by using the YSlow Firebug
add-on. It told me that I didn't gzip some
of my static files. That seemed strange to me because I already enabled
gzipping in my
curl and Firefox to find out if my files where gzipped. It seemed they
weren't. So I changed my gzip settings in
nginx.conf to the following on my
development server. (Source).
This in itself apparently didn't enable gzip compression. So I had to look further. It seemed that gzip compression won't be shown for files which are already cached. By disabling the cache for a bit I saw that my files were gzipped, but that it just wasn't shown. Again a problem solved.